Wednesday, December 12, 2018


Blog #92

As I walked to the County Jail for tutoring, I saw a glove nestled against a parking meter post.  It was white and blue and dirty.  On closer approach I saw that it was a left glove made of white mesh with a blue wristband.  This glove must have a story, I thought.  Why was it there?  Where was its partner?  A mesh glove – not very practical in cold weather.  Maybe it was a golf glove; that would explain the absence of its partner.  Maybe it was Michael Jackson’s.  Just a lonely, abandoned piece of flotsam in a lonely and disturbed world.  It was the stuff of a Chekov story or a Poe novella or a Robert Frost poem.  Or a Limerick Oyster paragraph. 

I have a wife named Carol and I have several friends named Carol.  It’s Christmas time and you can never have too many Carols.  One of my Carol friends recently suggested that my weekly greeting to you of “Hi there” should properly be placed at the beginning of each blog, not in the middle.  Thank you, Carol.  I respectfully considered your suggestion.

Hi there and welcome back.  I hope you’re staying warm and well.  There’s only a week and a half until Christmas, and so, if you are celebrating, go out and get your shopping done.  Maybe “go out” is no longer the right phrase.  It should be “get out”.  Get out your iPhone or get out your iPad and click a few buttons and whatever you want will be delivered tomorrow.  It’s actually frightening.  The world has changed so much in the last 25 years, just imagine what it will be like 25 years from now.  I’m sorry I won’t be here to see it.  Maybe I’m glad I won’t be here to see it.

My wife and I went to a movie called The Green Book and liked it very much. It is well worth seeing.  When I go to a movie and settle back in one of those new plush seats, I always have a reflexive impulse to strap on a seat belt.  Does that ever happen to you?  No?  Well, strap yourself in right now and let’s see how much trouble I can get into.

I was reading a book today and the main character was talking about his dream where he found himself naked at the mall.  I have that dream too.  How can he have the same dream that I have?  Then he mentioned the one where he was taking a big test and he hadn’t studied.  I have that one too!  What’s going on here?  I wonder if he has the one about not being able to find your car.  Or the one about the cement mixer parked in front of your house and the driver getting out and beating you up.  Or the one about the Viennese barmaid and the sheep and – well, never mind.

I just looked at my Driver’s License, I mean really looked at it, and you know what I found?  My sex, height, weight, birthday, eye color and a picture that was fifteen years younger and twenty pounds heavier.  At my age, that’s not what I want on my primary identification card, the card the first responders will look at if I’m in an accident.  I want my ID Card to list three things -- the phone number of my cardiologist, the serial number of my pacemaker and directions to the nearest McDonald’s. 

In my English class this week I had a Buddhist from Thailand, a Muslim from Syria, a Christian from Ethiopia, one old but lovable Jew (moi) and an atheist from China.  Atheism, as you know, is a non-prophet organization.  And you know what we talked about?  Religion and religious persecution.  We were supposed to talk about cats, using a list of insipid questions from a book.  Have you ever had a cat? Do you like cats? Do you know what cats eat?  Gag me!  I am fearless and have never used the suggested topics.  I’ll get fired one of these days, but somehow they all want to be in my class.

Carol, the wife, sent me to the grocery store for some vanilla ice cream.  En route, she called me:

You’d better FaceTime me when you get there.
It’s vanilla ice cream. I couldn’t possibly mess that up!
Just FaceTime me.  And wear The Sign.
Please, not The Sign.
Wear The Sign.
Yes, Dear.

When I arrived, I went to the trunk and removed The Sign, a white cardboard rectangle with a rope used to hang it around my neck.  On it, she had written the following in large black letters:

THIS PERSON HAS LESS BRAINS THAN AN ARTICHOKE AND CANNOT BE TRUSTED WITH ANY DECISION HARDER THAN ADAM CHOOSING A WIFE.  UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU SELL THIS PERSON ANY ARTICLE OF CLOTHING OR ANY OTHER ITEM MORE TECHNOLOGICALLY SOPHISTICATED THAN CHEWING GUM.  IF THIS PERSON BECOMES UNCOOPERATIVE, PUT A HAND ON HIS SHOULDER AND SAY, “HONEY, I’M MISERABLE.”  HE WILL SAY, “YES, DEAR” AND DO ANYTHING YOU TELL HIM.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?  I hate The Sign.

When my grandchildren were little, I used to sing them songs.  I even wrote two songs for them – There’s A Dinosaur in My Diaper and A Pirate Has Stolen My Cookie.  Where’s Casey Kasem when you need him?  And I told them stories I would make up on the fly.  Naturally, I was a big hero to them:  Look, it’s Poppy Man – faster than a rhyming dictionary; able to tell tall tales in a single night.  And who, disguised as a mild-mannered Jewish husband with no closet, fights a never-ending battle for fun, pirate stories and Scooby-Dooby-Doo.

He’s given us so many joys
He plays with our games and our toys
We know, truth be told,
That he’s wrinkled and old,
But to us he’s just one of the boys.

They’ve forgotten the songs and the stories by now, but have acquired the ability to wrap me around their fingers and get me to buy them anything they want, so they still like being with me.  And I guess you still like being with me, because here you are again.  Come on back next week and we’ll do it some more.  But I’m not singing you any songs.  Until then, stay well, finish your holiday shopping and count your blessings.

Michael                                    Send comments to:  mfox1746@gmail.com
  




No comments:

Post a Comment