Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Blog #33

This morning I went to McDonalds as I do each morning.  As I was filling my Diet Coke at the drink bar, a little Korean boy walked to the bar.  He was about 3-foot-7 and could not reach the straws.  He stood there with his hand stretched up as far as it could, but there was no chance.  I guess most people would have said, “Hi there, little boy.  Do you need a straw?  Would you like me to get you a straw?  What’s your name?  There you go; can you say thank you?”  I, being a highly trained handler of small children, said not a word.  I plucked a straw from the container and handed it down to the little Kim Jong Short.  He accepted the straw, looked me right in the eye, gave me a 3-foot 7-inch smile and walked back to his Daddy.  I smiled too and walked to my car.  A Chinese proverb says, “A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every person leaves a mark.”  Maybe I left a pleasant one.

Is math not your thing?  Have you always thought that Isaac Newton was famous for making cookies?  Do you have trouble counting up the number of Barbra Streisand’s Farewell Concerts?  Then you may want to skip this next exercise.  Carol and I went shopping at a store like Belk’s or Kohl’s.  You know the drill – everything is 30% off at the register, but the rack that had the top she wanted, which was marked $62.00, had a sign that said Everything 40% Off.  That makes it $37.20 until you get to the register and they take off the 30% which makes it $26.04.  Got it?  No you don’t, because she also had a coupon that says if you buy $75.00 worth you can subtract $15.00.  So she found a sweater marked $210.00 under a sign that says 1/3 Off which, after both discounts, makes it $98.00, which, when added to the top comes up to $124.04 minus the $15 coupon for a total of $109.04 for the two garments. With me so far?  No you’re not, because she actually had two of those $15 coupons, so she added a sweatshirt tagged $49.00 which was 20% off plus the 30% off which got her up to $151.48 minus the two $15 coupons or a total of $121.48.   Ok?  Want another cookie?

Well, it wasn’t ok because each $15.00 coupon had to be used with its own $75.00 purchase, so she had to buy . . . well, most people would have given up by then, but not Carol, because she had the perfect instrument for navigating this Alice in Wonderland exercise in higher math – me.  I calculated everything in my head and was so proud when we walked out with the top, a sweatshirt and two sweaters marked $441.00 for $177.48.  Wait, all she wanted was the $26 top.  Now I want a cookie.

Being a husband is challenging.  Besides the shopping thing, there’s the language thing.  I have been married fifty years and I still don’t completely understand Wife-Speak.  I think I have a few phrases figured out.  For instance,

When she says: Are you hot?  she means -  I’m hot, turn on the air conditioner.
When she says: Are you going out like that?  she means - If you are, it’s not with me.
When she says: You look tired.  she means -  Take me home; I’m tired.
When she says: My hair looks horrible! she means - You have three seconds to compliment my hair. Three, two, …
When she says: I like when you go shopping with me. she means - Drop me off at the door, Hop Sing, then come inside and hold my packages.

Anyone who thinks that a man can control a woman – is a bachelor.

We all watch Jeopardy, don’t we?  It’s fun!  We get to see how much we know and how awfully much we don’t know.  I think there should be a Senior Jeopardy.  I have some ideas along that line.  First, we have to get rid of that little clicker thing they use.  Mechanical devices confuse us and we have arthritis in our fingers.  And which button controls the volume?  Second, we need more time to answer.  Who can think that fast?  And, of course, the questions have to be senior-friendly, like “What is Miralax for?”  This is stuff we know about.  I have a whole new Double Jeopardy category for you called Who’s the Dummy?  Here are the answers; you pick the ventriloquist’s dummy.

$200           Charlie McCarthy or Edgar Burgen
$400           Meatloaf or Lambchop
$600           Jerry Lewis or Jerry Mahoney
$800           Topo Gigio or Charo
$1000          Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton

How’d you do?  Did you get them all right?  The real dummies are Charlie McCarthy (held by Edgar Burgen), Lambchop (Shari Lewis), Jerry Mahoney (Paul Winchell), Topo Gigio (Ed Sullivan show) and – no, no, I’m not going there. Now you can try the Final Senior Jeopardy Answer: “She was the Indian princess on Howdy Doody.”

One year, for my wife’s birthday, I surprised her by hiring a ventriloquist to give her a lesson, something she said she always wanted to try.  So we and a few friends gathered at my daughter’s house where The Amazing Mario showed her how to use his dummy, which looked like a little boy.  Carol tried and everybody laughed.  Then it was my turn and he placed the dummy on my lap.  My little granddaughter, Charley, was about 15 months old then and was sitting in a corner enjoying the show.  But when she saw the little boy on her Poppy’s lap, she roused into action.  She calmly walked up to me, picked up the dummy, gently placed him in the corner, came back and crawled onto my lap, a lap she did not intend to share with some creepy little boy.

In all my life I have lived in seven different homes, yet I have never lived more than 12 miles from the place I was born.  Twelve miles in 71 years!  Doesn’t seem like much, does it?  Raccoons move around more than that.  Twelve miles!  I haven’t retired to sunny Naples or glorious Scottsdale or the fabulous Frisco Bay.  I didn’t go away to college. Twelve miles.  It never occurred to me that St. Louis was a great place to live, but now with all the disasters around us, I’m rethinking.  Hurricanes in Florida, shootings in Nevada, earthquakes in Mexico, flooding in Texas, fires in California, Joy Behar in New York.  Maybe our little town, even with its civil unrest, is doing just fine.

To live in St. Louis is heaven
On a scale of ten, it’s eleven
The Cards and the Blues
The Zoo and Ted Drewes
And the riots don’t start until seven.

Did you think I had forgotten this week’s limerick?  I’m not that forgetful, and you’re not that lucky.  I will not forget to come back next week with another limerick, so please stay well and I’ll see you then.

Princess Summerfallwinterspring       Send comments to:  mfox1746@gmail.com 



No comments:

Post a Comment