Blog #489 July 23, 2026
Have you noticed that on every corner, they’re
building a new Senior Citizens Residence Center? Do you know who they’re building them
for? They’re building them for all those
people who rode bikes without a helmet when they were kids. All those people who drank water from a hose,
played outside without sunscreen, put butter on their popcorn and rode with
nine other kids in the back of the station wagon with no seatbelts. All those people who played with dirt and
acorns and bugs, ate hotdogs every day and swam in the quarry. And all those people who stared for hours at
Howdy Doody and Lash Larue while double-dipping their spoon in the Peter Pan
jar. I wonder how we all made it this
far.
But I’m glad we did.
Hi there and welcome back. I hope
you are feeling spiffy! My wife is out
celebrating her birthday for the 23rd time, so I have some time to
chat. My coevals and I have made it this
far, they tell us, by eating healthily.
By “they”, I mean the ever-increasing accumulation of supercilious
busybodies who think they know how to run my life. Well, I have a bulletin for them – there is
only one person who knows how to run my life - Carol. And she does not need your help!
How about coeval as our Weekly
Word? A coeval is a person of
roughly the same age as oneself; a contemporary. Where else can you learn a useless word every
week?
You probably can tell
that I love telling stories. Most of my
stories have been told to my grandchildren.
Tyler used to sit on my lap and say, “Poppy, say a once-upon-a-time.” I tried telling stories to Carol, but it
didn’t work out. She’d always be working
a crossword puzzle, reading a book and making dates for one of her birthday
celebrations all at the same time. Yet
she was still able to criticize every Mother Goose or Brothers Grimm story that
I told.
Forget that
Rapunzel woman. Nobody wears their hair
that long anymore.
What mother
would name a kid Rumpelstiltskin? That’s
ridiculous.
Glass slippers
are out!
The tortoise
beats the hare? That’s stupid. The tortoise is too slow.
Jill would never
have gone up that hill with Jack. She
would have gone shopping.
Gotta go
now. Thanks for the story. Next time talk faster.
Maybe I’ll do
better telling you a once-upon-a-time. Once upon a time, 59 years ago, a skinny
little boy (21) married a beautiful girl (21).
They
saved her wedding gown for over 30 years thinking their first daughter,
Jennifer, would wear it, but Jennifer was taller than her mother. Besides, a bride wants her own dress. I’m surmising this, of course, never having
been a bride or being in possession of even the smallest sliver of fashion
acumen. Anyway, Jennifer got her own
wedding gown and we saved that and then there was Abby’s wedding dress and we
saved that too. And that made three.
Stephanie was married at a ranch in the wine country of California, and the
wedding attire was more blue-jean than white.
I’m rambling here, but it’s making me think of the
time years ago when one of my employees told
me her granddaughter was getting married and they were doing everything without
spending money. Grandma was doing the
cooking and a friend had offered their house for the reception. In the spirit, I told her we had three
wedding dresses in the cedar closet and I’d be happy to let her granddaughter
choose one. I don’t think it would fit,
the Grandma said; she’s 8 ½ months pregnant.
Wow, I said, I hope she doesn’t have the baby while she’s walking down
the aisle.
The wedding was slightly belated
The bride was already dilated
We sang “Here Comes the Bride
Eight centimeters wide
To get herself wed, then sedated.”
Carol
has begun to listen to classical music when she reads. First of all, I cannot do two things at
once. I cannot read while listening to
anything. I cannot talk and drive at the
same time. Anyway, the classical music
she plays is very pleasant, but it’s not for me, and the reason is that it
takes too long. If you have something
good, get it done in three minutes.
That’s about my limit, and that’s why I love Rock ‘n Roll.
But
there was one exception. I have often
shared with you some of my eccentricities, peculiarities and peccadillos, and
if you’ve read enough of these blogs, you will have realized that this kind of
crap cannot be coming from a stable mind, and you’d be right. One of my most unstable periods occurred
about 20 years ago, when I actually began to visit a shrink. My symptom was that I was listening to the
same song every night, Alice’s Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie. Every night, every single night, I would sit
in the kitchen with my iPod, or whatever it was we were using then, and listen
to Alice’s Restaurant, which doesn’t seem so bad until you
realize that Alice’s Restaurant lasts for 22 minutes and 26
seconds. I don’t think the shrink helped
me any, and my devotion to the song faded away over the years, but the
experience did lead to my understanding of Snow White.
Snow
White was actually the first psychiatrist, and she began practicing when she
was visited by the Seven Dwarfs. She
asked each one of them if he was Happy, and when only one said yes, she knew
they needed help. She hung up a Psychiatrist
shingle, and one day, a neighbor saw the dwarfs leaving her office and said, “What
is she doing to those little fellows, shrinking them? And that’s how the term “shrink” became
associated with psychiatrists.
Message
from Shakespeare: Come, now a roundel and a fairy song (A
Midsummer
Night’s Dream). I think it should
have been Snow White and the Seven Cats, and they’d elect me as their leader
and call me Chairman Meow. Purr.
Ok, that’s
enough crazy for one week. Please come
back next week. I’ll tell you another
story if you do. And in the meantime,
stay well and count your blessings. And
remember, you can get anything you want at Alice’s Restaurant.
Michael Send
comments to mfox1746@mail.com
No comments:
Post a Comment