Wednesday, April 20, 2022

 

LIMERICK    OYSTER

Blog #267                                          April 21, 2022

 

I was at a fancy restaurant recently, relaxing in my comfortable seat, sipping chilled water from immaculate and expensive glassware and listening to the daily special described by our highly professional waitperson.  Is that the right term – waitperson?  It describes the job, but not much about the person himself or herself or itself or themself.  Isn’t this getting sillier and sillier?  Our waitperson was a lady, so must I say a lady waitperson?  I know that I was born a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, but I have trouble with this linguistic contortionism we practice today in an effort to de-genderize our language.  She was a waitress.  Must I first strip her of her gender, turning her into a waitperson and then adding the gender back to make her a lady waitperson?  Even Lewis Carroll couldn’t invent such absurd gyres and gimbles.

 

But that’s not what I wanted to talk to you about.  The specialty of the day was – get ready – Decomposed Lobster Lasagna.  “Decomposed lobster?”  We all gasped.  Were they joking?  Was there also Spoiled Salad, Fetid Fruit, Decayed Dessert and, as the main course, Foul Fowl?  I inquired and learned that “decomposed” meant that the lasagna was separated on the plate into its constituent parts, but the name was so off-putting that I bet no-one ever ordered it.  Who came up with such a disgusting name?  Probably the same clown who came up with waitperson.  I hear there’s a fancy new restaurant opening on the Moon – great food, no atmosphere.

 

Hi there and welcome back.  I hope you’re feeling peachy.  “Peachy” is not actually a good thing for me, for you see I have haptodysphoria.  No, no, don’t get out the hand sanitizer.  It’s not contagious.  It just means that I hate to touch peach-fuzz.  Really!  I like the taste of peaches, but the fuzz makes me shiver and cringe!  So what did my lovely children used to do when they were growing up?  They would toss me a peach.  I would catch it instinctively, screech and drop it like a – like a fuzzy peach!  Kids!

 

To celebrate Passover, Carol and I climbed into an airplane and passed over Illinois, Kentucky and Virginia to drop into North Carolina and my daughter Jennifer.  If you celebrated Passover, I hope your seder was delicious and your services meaningful and not inappropriately lengthy.

 

We all had a wonderful Seder

During which we beseeched our Creator

That the length of the Service

Would not make us nervous

‘Cause we’d rather eat sooner than later.

 

The prayer worked and the meal arrived.  And a glorious meal it was -- an eponymous conglomeration of delicious traditional dishes.  Boy, that was a mouthful, wasn’t it?  So was dinner.  Eponymous, you may recall, means named after someone.  There was Heideman Brisket (named after my daughter Abby’s mother-in-law), Grandma’s Chicken (named after Carol’s mother), Nonnie’s Matzo Ball Soup (named after Carol) and Gefilte Fish (named after my Uncle Gefilte who was pretty salty and a little smelly).

 

Message from Shakespeare: Now I am past all comforts here but prayers (Henry VIII).  The only prayer I have now is that Pops comes home soon.  Don’t tell him I missed him.  He gets all full of himself.  Purr.

 

I played pickleball with my daughter and son-in-law and a friend.  Raise your hand if you have ever fallen playing pickleball.  What?  You can’t raise your hand because you broke that arm playing you-know-what?  See, I told you it was dangerous.  I don’t want you to play.  And why am I playing, I hear you ask?  Because I’m just as damn stubborn as you are.  I told my wife I don’t want her playing pickle-ball.  I put my foot down.  The last time I put my foot down to Carol was during the Ford Administration and she promptly dropped a Vegematic on it.  Ouch!

 

I also got a rugby lesson from my granddaughter who plays in college.  I admit I don’t understand the game.  To me, rugby resembled 30 people trying to buy the last 50%-off television on Black Friday.

 

And then there are the chickens.  My daughter currently has nine chickens and two roosters, and for the life of me, I cannot understand what these birds do all day.  Maybe they watch television – maybe NetChicks or T-Hen-T.  Chicken jokes are so easy.  Their favorite shows are The Eggs File, F-Coop, and Wings.  See, they’re easy.

 

Our first morning in North Carolina, I went to the McDonald’s I always visit when I’m there.  It had been converted into one of these modern McDonald’s where you could not order from a person.  You had to order from a computerized kiosk.  You also could not get a refill and you couldn’t pay in cash.  I could go on a rant about old people using these new-fangled machines and all, but that’s not the point.  The sadness of the place was smothering – there was no-one to talk to.  I used to go in there and talk to the lady at the counter.  She would complain about the weather or how long her shift was, but she would always make me smile and call me Sweetie.  There was often a gregarious, elderly man sitting with his friends at a corner table, and I would say hello and exchange useless morning phrases with him.  But he wasn’t there anymore.  In fact, no-one was there.  Not one person was sitting in the restaurant where before there had been dozens.  I missed the jocose banter among the staff and the customers.  The absence of human contact and the banishment of friendliness was striking.  I left without making a purchase.

 

It's the same at grocery stores and banks and so many other places.  We either can’t find a real person to talk to or we simply stay away from people because we are afraid of Covid and of crime.  Even if we wanted to talk to someone, everybody is wearing a mask.  Our entire society is suffering from a lack of friendly contact.

 

Except on Thursday mornings when I can hopefully give you some of that jocose banter I mentioned.  Jocose (Weekly Word) means playful or humorous, and I am always playful and sometimes humorous.  So stay well, stay healthy and stay playful, except pickleball.  See you next week.

 

Michael                          Send comments to mfox1746@gmail.com

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment