Wednesday, February 12, 2020


Blog #153

We just arrived in North Carolina on the last leg of our Southern Tour.  The drive from Florida took 10½ hours and three McDonald’s.  I do all the driving, but my lovely wife is a good companion.  She presumes I will get lost, so she does all the navigating.  She presumes I will fall asleep, so she entertains me with crosswords puzzles and conversation and we laugh together at how nasty Dr. Laura is.  At each McDonald’s stop, she exercises by speed-walking around the interior of the restaurant, eliciting wide-eyed stares from the patrons and a big smile from me.  I like driving with her.  

See, I say nice things about my wife.  You all think I pick on her, but it’s just the opposite.  She’s the one who picks on me.  She picks on the way I dress and the way I drive and the way I don’t know which glass of water is mine.  She taught me to make a little b for bread with my left hand and a little d for drink with my right, but sometimes I forget.  How is it that none of my teachers ever taught me that?         
 
Maybe it’s me, because now I get picked on by other women as well.  In fact, I’ve noticed something sinister happening lately.  It appears that all the women we go out with treat all the men the same way, as if they were married to the whole bunch.  I have women, other than my wife, telling me which way to drive, where to park, what chair to sit in and what temperature to maintain in the car.  It’s as if all the remaining husbands have become a common pool of obedient workers available to any nearby female.  Like Uber drivers – whichever one is closest gets to wait on them.  Or like a bunch of Queen bees and their pool of worker bees.  They don’t care which useless little bee drops her off at the front door as long as she doesn’t get her wings wet.

Hi there and welcome back.  I hope you are feeling shiny and bright and having fun.  And now that Trump has been acquitted, the fun will continue.  C’mon, how much fun are we all having watching our elected politicians play Clue up in our nation’s capital!  Was it Mrs. Peacock Pelosi in the chair with the paper shredder?  Was it Colonel Trump on the telephone with the Ukrainian?  No, it was the Democratic Party in Iowa with the lead pipe up their behinds.  Seriously, do you know what would happen if the Senate kicked President Trump out of office?  Mike Pence would become President and the whole country would fall asleep faster than a drunken agnostic at a Joel Osteen Rally.

Before arriving here in North Carolina with our daughter, son-in-law, grandchildren, grand-dogs, grand-cats and grand-chickens, we visited West Palm Beach and Larry and Linda, wonderful people whom we love.  But they sometimes have bizarre ideas of entertainment.  One day we went to Costco for free hearing tests.  I don’t know; I’m not sure I want my hearing to be tuned up.  Do I need to hear Bernie Sanders or Donald Trump or Nancy Pelosi LOUDER? Do I need to hear everything my wife says?  If I get hearing aids, I’ll never again be able to use the excuse, “Honey, I didn’t hear you.”

And speaking of politicians, you know the Iowa Caucus was a bigger disaster than the Titanic.  So now the Democrats are promising that the New Hampshire primary will be transparent – more transparent than the Half Time Show at the Super Bowl.  I can’t wait.  I’m voting for JLo.

I guess I have to talk about the Academy Awards.  I really have no interest in this cinematic folderol*, but I watched it because I know all of you did.  It’s a bunch of ultra-ultra-rich people who dress in hundred-thousand-dollar clown suits, drive $300,000 cars, live in $10 million houses, fly in their private jets to Cannes for the Film Festival and believe this qualifies them to tell the rest of America how to live our lives.  It’s preposterous and embarrassing.  Why do we watch?  Because movie stars have always been the royalty that we created to replace the English royalty that we fought to get rid of.  The British have Kings and Queens and Dukes and Princesses.  We had John Wayne and Elvis -- The Duke and The King.

This year’s gala had its high points.  There was Brad Pitt’s acceptance speech written by Adam Schiff.  And there was Joaquin Phoenix (sounds like a hike in the desert, doesn’t it?) – there was Joaquin’s impassioned speech on behalf of cows that was udderly ridiculous.  Sorry. 

Among the Best Picture nominees, there were two I liked.  First was the horribly frightening disaster movie, Once Upon a Time in Iowa and the movie Parasite, about people who show up, become dangerous pests and never leave.  Sounds like a documentary about Congress.  Am I being too hard on our politicians?  They deserve it.

And, by the way, here’s an interesting fact to show you how ridiculous the Academy Awards are.  Not one of the top ten grossing movies of 2019 was nominated as Best Picture.  In other words, the Academy doesn’t care what movies you liked.  You are ignorant, non-consequential rubes whose opinions mean nothing to us.  We are elite intellectuals and we will decide what is best. So there! 

Oh-oh, a News Flash.  Joachin Phoenix was married today to his favorite cow.  Here is part of the ceremony:

It’s time for the knot to be tied
You lovers are now
Pronounced Man and Cow
That’s it -- you may now milk the bride.

They’re calling it a Civil Moo-nion. 

All right, all of this being funny and clever has tired me out.  This week’s WEEKLY WORD is folderol, which means trivial or nonsensical fuss.  Like my blogs.  But come back next week for some more folderol so we can laugh together.  Until then, I’m counting on you to stay well, count your blessings and hug a cow.

Michael                                             Send comments to:  mfox1746@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment