Wednesday, December 25, 2019


Blog #146

Do you remember the names Margaret Gorman and Camille Schrier?  Of course you don’t.  Margaret Gorman was the first Miss America back in 1921 and Camille Schrier was just crowned Miss America for 2020, but the pageant has changed throughout the years.  Carol and I used to watch Miss America every year.  I watched to see the gorgeous, sexy girls prancing around in their bathing suits, and Carol watched so she could criticize.  Who picked out that horrible dress for her?  she would say.  Or, too much hair.  Or, didn’t she look in the mirror?  Or, one too many chins.  Alas, somehow the magic is gone for me.  Plus, the talent part has changed.  They used to sing or play the xylophone or twirl batons.  This year’s winner was a Bio-Chemical Engineer.  She made so many things explode onstage, I thought she was Miss Palestine.  I will no longer watch the pageant, but that’s ok.  I have my own Miss America.  I’ve had her for 52 years.

I need to ask you something.  What is the biggest waste of your time?  I have a few suggestions.  Watching Congressional Hearings must certainly rank near the top.  Four hours of an Italian opera is high on my list.  How about this – exiting an airplane?  We live in the age of cellphones and Artificial Intelligence, where we can talk to anybody in the world and command our televisions to play anything we want.  Can we not, as a society, find a better way to get 100 or 200 people off an airplane in less time than it takes to cook a turkey?  Anybody have a suggestion?

Hi there and welcome back.  I hope you are feeling full of joy, full of good cheer and full of good holiday food.  Yummy!  My wife wishes you Good Tidings of Whoopi and Joy.  She’s not here right now.  She’s attending her Jewish Princess Continuing Education class.  This week she’s learning how to tell her husband he’s lost in seventeen languages.  Next week she’s teaching a class on How to Make Your Husband Believe the Restaurant Was His Choice.

Did you know it was Winter already?  According to Wikipedia, the winter solstice or hibernal solstice occurs when one of the Earth's poles has its maximum tilt away from the Sun. It happens twice yearly, once in each hemisphere.  It happened last Saturday, which was the shortest day of the year.  It was so short that Nancy Pelosi only had time to say she hates Donald Trump six times.

At the end of January, we are going to escape some of the St. Louis winter by driving to Florida to mooch on some friends and relatives.  It scares me a little to go to Florida.  I’ve heard of so many people, healthy vibrant people in their 60s, who move to Florida and within thirty years, they’re dead.  We’ll try to be careful.

Over all these weeks we have spent considerable time talking about disposing of our remains.  It’s a thing old people do.  We’ve talked about cremation, about sending our remains into space and other schemes.  I just found a new option, and this is not made up:  LifeGem – we turn your loved one’s ashes into diamonds.  That’s right, Friends and Neighbors, diamonds manufactured out of human ashes.  My body, once you remove the pacemaker and the titanium hip and the cornea transplant, is mostly carbon and water.  Cremation gets rid of the water and that leaves carbon, the stuff of which diamonds are made. Necklaces, earrings, rings, bracelets – all manufactured out of your ashes.  Now you can bequeath your bodily remains (transposed into diamonds) to your loved ones so they can wear a piece of you wherever they go.  The company even provides a sample of how to do that in your will:

To make all my memories linger
A fob for my wife, a hum-dinger
My nephew and niece
Get an earring apiece
And my in-laws?  They just get the finger.

As long as this is the Christmas Issue of L.O., I must mention that Christmas Eve ten years ago was the date my heart started racing faster than a Kardashian heading for a camera.  They rushed me to the hospital where they thought I was deader than the Bill Cosby Show.  They screamed Code Blue and grabbed a Handy-Dandy Defibrillator and shocked me back to life. Ten years!  Amazing!

And speaking of body parts, I went to a Physical Therapist for my knee.  He kneaded my ligaments and gave me some exercises.  I’m dubious.  But hey, it’s nice to be kneaded.

Christmas Eve was movie night, and Carol and I arrived about 20 minutes early so we could people-watch.  It’s kind of like bird-watching.  Oh look, Honey, there’s a Ruby-Cheeked Face-Lifter walking with a Duck-Billed Fatty-Puss.  We saw a Yellow-Tufted Perma Bird, a New York Cocky-Jew, a Dark-Haired Annoying Bitch-Bird, a Great-Horned Scowler and an Eastern Seagull – or was it Siegel?  And then, of course, there were us – The Grey-Haired Limping Rhyming-Bird and the Slender Yapping Road-Runner.  We finally went in to see the movie.   

ROTTEN OYSTERS:  Bombshell was terrific!  I guess there are no beautiful blondes in America, because they had to use a South African (Charlize Theron) and two Australians (Margot Robbie and Nicole Kidman) to play American women.  But beautiful they certainly were and fine actresses as well.  Charlize and John Lithgow deserve Academy Award nominations.  A very, very good film.

Ok, I'm done.  Just another week of laboring in the vineyards of the Lord, as the Pope might say.  I am not Catholic, but also not above borrowing a well-turned Catholic parable, especially at Christmas time.  I hope you had a lovely Christmas yesterday, or, if you didn’t celebrate, at least a peaceful day of relaxation.  Wow, Christmas is over already.  The time just flies.  I haven’t even finished x-raying my Halloween candy.

I wish you a wonderful Holiday Week.  I’ll be back next year to tell you to stay well and count your blessings, so you might as well start now.  Thanks for joining me in 2019.  It’s nice to be kneaded.  We’ll have a great 2020.  See you then.

Michael                                             Send comments to:  mfox1746@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment