Wednesday, July 17, 2019


Blog #123

Different times of my day are devoted to different things.  This morning was Honey-Time, that’s the time I devote to doing the little things for my wife that make her life easier and allow her more time to play canasta and look in the mirror.  This morning she had a routine medical test and I drove her there, waited, and drove her home.  Now don’t get the idea that I’m a saint or anything like that.  I actually enjoy doing nice things for my wife. 

Then there was Poppy-Time.  As I am writing, it is July 11th – 7/11 – free Slurpees at 7-Eleven.  Did you miss it?  So off I went with my grandchildren to 7-Eleven for the free yummies.  Poppy-Time, you see, is the time I devote to my grandchildren.  We wound up going to lunch, then back for more free Slurpees.  I love being with them. 

After all that was over, it was Michael-Time, my alone time, when I can write my letter to my daughters, read my book, pay the bills, try to find my cellphone which I know I left on the table but it’s not there -- and, of course, write to you.  Hi there and welcome back.  I have a lot to tell you, but I’ve wasted so much time already.  I’ll talk fast.

I hope you feel loved and appreciated today.  There are many days when I do not feel that way at all.  Why?  Because I am a Jewish American White Male.  That makes me less popular than cholera.  First of all, 90% of the world’s inhabitants hate me because I’m Jewish.  50% of the them hate me because I’m American.  Another 50% hate me because I’m male.  And another 75% of people worldwide hate me because I’m white.  My math being as impeccable as it always is, that makes 265% of the world’s people who hate me, or, to be simpler, everyone on the planet hates me for two or more reasons.  And that’s not counting the people who hate my blog!

Wouldn’t that depress you?  Well, it’s messed up my strange brain a whole lot.  I used to think I was bi-polar.  I think we all are to some extent.  But lately, I’m convinced I am octi-polar.  That’s a condition where at some point during each day you behave like every one of Snow White’s dwarfs.  Yes, I know octi means eight and there are only seven dwarfs, but Carol decided that, in the state I’m in, I should add another Grumpy.
The only consolation is that there exists one creature even more universally loathed than me – the Canada Goose.  I once lived in a community whose houses surrounded a lake, a nice lake, whose only fault was that it hosted several dozen geese.  They are beautiful creatures, but that doesn’t compensate for the fact that they are loud, filthy and threatening.  Did I mention filthy?

We hired a dog to bark at the geese and scare them away.  The geese chuckled and flew to the other side of the lake.  Next, we placed blinking lights in the lake that supposedly would keep the geese from sleeping.  The geese slept like goslings, but the lights kept the rest of us up all night.  Then we sprayed the grass with a chemical that makes the geese sick when they eat it.  Now instead of just goose shit covering the grass, we had goose shit and goose vomit.  Then we tried fox decoys (I am not making any of this up).  The decoys are Styrofoam signs painted to look like foxes and stuck in the ground.  The geese were unimpressed, but a near-sighted lady two doors down from me called the police to report a wolf in her yard.  The uniformed policeman arrived and, without hesitation, approached the ersatz wolf with weapon drawn.  (I promise you, I am not making this up.)  Well, the geese were hysterical, watching the show and munching on the poisoned grass.  So I finally came up with a plan:

There really is just no excuse
Allowing those birds to run loose
Our mission is plain
We’ll start a new chain
And call it Kentucky Fried Goose

Finger lickin’ good!

I just got back from the grocery store.  More Honey-Time with my wife.  I love grocery carts, don’t you?  They’re light and they have a zero turning radius.  You can swirl those little puppies around in no space at all.  And they’re nice to lean on when your hip hurts.  You can always find me at the grocery store about ¾ of an aisle behind the Princess of Usain Bolt, leaning on my cart and trying to keep up.  To avoid the aggravation of waiting for me, she has developed a very accurate grocery-toss and can flip a box of cereal or a bag of marshmallows a good 25 feet with 100% accuracy.  She’s a little cautious with canned goods, but can flip a bag of arugula better than Steph Curry.  Nothing but net!

In Aisle 1 today, I ran into a friend and loyal reader.  She was pushing her own cart.  We talked for a bit, then I looked twenty or thirty feet behind her and located her husband trying to figure out the difference between a rutabaga and a turnip.  Root vegetables confuse me too.

You know what else confuses me?  Now don’t make the list too long; I’m not that goofy.   What confuses me is buying movie tickets on-line.  I can do amazon.  Buying stuff on amazon is as easy as finding a Democrat who thinks Trump is an idiot.  But buying movie tickets on some on-line sites is harder than finding a STARBUCKS that allows policemen.  I’d rather have shingles!

Oh-oh, I hear a voice.  It must be Honey-Time again.  Gotta go.  I know where my priorities lie.  Maybe I am a saint after all.  Keep yourself well, enjoy the warm weather and count your blessings.  I’ll be back next week.  “Yes, Honey, I’m coming.”  Gotta go.

Happy, Sleepy, Dopey, Doc, Grumpy, Bashful, Sneezy – and Grumpy    
               Send comments to:  mfox1746@gmail.com

Image result for seven dwarfs




No comments:

Post a Comment