Wednesday, April 25, 2018


Blog #59

I hate when people don’t hold the door open for me.  It’s just common courtesy to hold the door open for the next person.  Didn’t your mother teach you anything?  Today someone held the door open for me.  He was 55 or 60-ish.  He looked at my gray hair and my face, held the door and said, “After you, sir.”  I hate when people hold the door open for me.

The St. Louis Chess Club is proud to be hosting the US Chess Championship and US Women’s Chess Championship this year.  It’s going on right now and ends next Monday.  Somehow, when I heard the two separate tournaments announced, it hit me the wrong way.  Women’s chess championship?  I can understand separate women’s basketball -- men are, as a whole, taller and stronger.  Or women’s tennis or most other sports.  But chess?  Are men naturally smarter than women?  I think not.  The National Spelling Bee is sexually inclusive.  Mensa is not segregated between men and women.  Jeopardy does not have a Women’s Edition.  There are no Bridge tournaments for one sex only. Why chess?  If I were a woman. I’d be sorely insulted.  And, for that matter, why is the King more important than the Queen?  And what’s with the black pieces and the white pieces.  Is this a racist thing?  And Kings and Knights and Pawns just reek of class inequality.  And Bishops?  What happened to Separation of Church and Chess?  I think we should boycott the tournament and Chess in general.  It’s just some silly, Medieval, racist, sexist, homophobic waste of time!  And who decided to spell Medieval that way?  Ok, I feel better.

I just re-read that part and was struck by the phrase – If I were a woman.  How ridiculous!   I could never be a woman.  I don’t have any fashion sense, I sit at the first table they give me in a restaurant and I don’t think I am right about every damn thing all the time.

Hi there and welcome back.  I hope you are doing well and practicing your chess moves.  Did you know that next Tuesday is May Day?  Wikipedia tells me that May Day “is an ancient northern hemisphere spring festival and a traditional spring holiday in many cultures.”  Isn’t Wikipedia great?  You can look up absolutely anything – from Princess Grace of Monaco to Knob Knoster State Park to anal bleaching.  And don’t tell me Wikipedia is wrong.  Anything wrong on Wikipedia gets corrected in very short order.

Where was I?  May Day is also a world-wide celebration of workers which has come to be most celebrated in communist countries.  After all, Workers of the world, unite!  is from the Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx.  Too bad Karl wasn’t the silent Marx brother.  Anyway, on May Day the Communists march and the labor unions march and people celebrating Springtime march and women march and high-school students march and teachers march and there are so many marches, it should have been called March Day and held in March.  But it’s not.

I had a physical with Dr. Primary.  I’m perfect, but to arrive at that conclusion, they had to stick me with needles.  Blood tests and shots and pin pricks – by the time I was done I had more holes than . . .  Ok, here’s your chance to create your own simile.  I had more holes than – pick your favorite:

A pin cushion, a Swiss cheese, a Chinese Checkers board, a miniature golf course, a sponge, a spaghetti strainer, Fearless Fosdick, Donald Trump’s alibis.

Go now, not later, now.  Google Fearless Fosdick and click on “images”.  You’ll notice he has a hole in him.  I don’t make this stuff up, you know.

Back to the physical.  Every time I encountered a new doctor, nurse, technician or office staff – they asked for my date of birth.  Over and over.  The person who drew my blood -- a nasty, evil-looking, vampiric creature – must have asked me four times.

The Nurse I call Lady Macbeth
Asked my date of birth with each breath
It’s ok - I let her
It’s surely much better
Than asking for my Date of Death.

I think I’ll have a hat made up with my date of birth imprinted on it.  That will save time.  And probably make more people hold the door open for me.  I like the idea, actually.  Everyone should wear a hat with their age in large numbers.  Hey, at our station in life we’ve stopped lying about our age and started bragging about it.  The age on the hat would save all the guessing and arguing.  Maybe it should have who we voted for as well.  Then you would know who to talk to and who to pepper spray.

Yes, I know I just made a mistake.  I should have written, “Everyone should wear a hat with his age.”  My favorite English teacher, Mrs. Gottlieb, taught us that the word everyone is singular and should be used with a singular pronoun.  So “everyone should take their seat” is wrong and “everyone should take his seat” is right.  But wait!  If I use his, that’s sexist.  So I should use his or her.   “No-no-no” – I hear you whine.  The new gender-neutral movement considers his or her inadequate because now there are more gender-selective pronouns than Bill Cosby accusers.  I give up.  I’m going to stick with their.  I’m sorry, Mrs. Gottlieb.

I just got the mail.  Let’s see – a discount on hearing aids, an invitation to visit the new elderly facility, a free dinner if I listen to a money manager, 30% off at Kohl’s and a whole bunch of stuff addressed to Resident, Occupant or Loser.  Is this too exciting for you?  This is my life!

But wait, what’s that?  A small envelope with a hand-written address and no bar codes.  It was from my granddaughter – snail mail.  Not an e-mail or a fax.  Not a text or a tweet or a twit or a twoot.  Not a Facebook or a YouTube or a Snapchat.  Just a little old envelope with my name written on it in pencil.  I dove for it like a pelican after a sardine.  Isn’t it funny how something as simple as an actual letter can be so exciting?

Ok, another week.  Seven damn days closer to the future.  Well, one good thing the future has – next week’s blog.  Don’t miss it.  Stay well and count your blessings.

Michael                                            Send comments to:  mfox1746@gmail.com

I just re-read the blog again and noticed I did not mention my wife once.  Hi, Honey.



No comments:

Post a Comment