Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Blog #48

Well, Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow this year.  In fact, he didn’t even make it out of his burrow.  No, this year it was Punxsutawney Phyllis who was raised from her burrow at Gobbler’s Knob in Punxsutawney, PA and, seeing her shadow, predicted that the Eagles would win the Super Bowl and that all the Academy Awards would be won by women.  In China, it’s the Year of the Dog, but for poor Phil and all of us other males, it’s the Year of the Doghouse.  The women are taking over and Phyllis let Phil know in no uncertain terms that she was going to be in the spotlight this time.

But you know, whether it’s Phil or Phyllis, I trust the overgrown rodents more than I trust the weather-folks they have on TV, all of whom begin their broadcast with “Good Evening” and then proceed to tell you why it isn’t. Did you ever notice that they go nuts when there is bad weather?  They love it!  They live for disaster!  And if the disaster isn’t frightening enough, they invent words to make it seem worse.  Wind Chill Factor, Heat Index, Black Ice, Category 5, Bombogenesis.  Plus, they love to dive right in.  Fires in California?  There’s Miguel Almaguer singeing his boots on the roasting remains of someone’s house.  Hurricanes in Florida?  There’s Chris Cuomo up to his navel in water, begging you to stay inside. 

I think we should let the groundhog do the weather.  A couple of squeaks from Phyllis while she’s gnawing on a turnip would convince me more than that bunch of Chicken Littles they call meteorologists.  Or is it Chickens Little?  By the way, a groundhog is also known as a woodchuck.  I wonder how many meteorologists could a woodchuck chuck?  St. Louis has its own groundhog – Ferguson Freddie.  He poked his head out last week and was shot by a drug dealer.  I guess that means we’ll have six more weeks of protests.  Rodent Lives Matter.

And speaking of animals, my daughter Abby went on a vacation for a few days, and my job was to visit the house each day to feed the cats and the fish.  I like animals and they like me, so I talked to the cats and petted them.  Then I went upstairs and fed the fish.  I always leave the television on for the fish.  They like:

Dancing With the Starfish or Eel of Fortune, but their favorite is Orange Roughy is the New Black Roughy.  Or I just put on South Pacific.  Their favorite song is Salmon Chanted Evening.

And speaking of music, my wife went to the symphony with some girlfriends.  The seats were close, but too far to the left and all they could see were the violins, so they moved closer to the woodwinds and . . . well, I never thought the symphony was a visual experience.  I don’t get a thrill from watching a guy blow into a clarinet or a bunch of well-dressed ladies bowing their violas.  It’s the music I go for, not the scenery.  Classical is not actually my favorite kind of music, but I can handle (make that Handel) most of it.  I’m really not a big fan of most art (make that Mozart), so when I go I just close my eyes and lean back (make that Bach) and relax.  But to Carol and her friends, the visual is everything.  It thrills them more than shopping (make that Chopin).  I’m pretty sure it’s a sexual thing.

The trombone goes out and goes in!
The stroking of each violin!
The Conductor’s baton
Turns all the girls on
And the woodwinds are sexy as sin!

That’s why one of the woodwinds is called a sexy-phone.  And don’t even get them started about the pipe organ!  And the piano player?  I must admit I’m a bit jealous – must be a case of pianist envy.

Howdy, Y’all and welcome back.  That’s a little Southern lingo because so many of my friends have headed south for the winter.  Are you down there in San Diego or Naples or Palm Springs?  Well, wherever y’all are hidin’ (make that Hayden), I’ll find you and try to make you laugh.  I hope you’re feeling well and staying toasty.

Wasn’t the Super Bowl fun?  Only one punt in the whole game!  For me, the hardest part of watching the game was figuring out what product the commercial was plugging.  The typical commercial was a bunch of people hugging and adopting pets and singing and loving everyone regardless of race, creed, color, sexual-orientation or point-spread.  Then at the end they would flash Honda or something.  Apparently, the new trend is - “Hey, buy my product because we love balloons, hired a lot of women and adopted a three-legged dog.”  Kumbaya!

I had to call an insurance company yesterday, so I called the 1-800 number.  I was instructed to “press one” if I wanted to proceed in English.  I guess if I hadn’t done that, it would then instruct me, in Spanish, to press dos for Spanish.  Then press 3 for Mandarin, 4 for Viet Namese and subsequently to Korean, Hindu, Arabic, Swahili and a list (make that Liszt) of eighty other languages until it gets to Cherokee where it tells you, in Cherokee, that if you hadn’t let all those white sons o’ bitches immigrate in the first place, they could have done the whole thing in Cherokee from the beginning.  Poor Indians!  That was the first Amnesty – let those white folks land here; there are only a few of them.  They work hard and they’re good for the economy.  Press 89 for Cherokee.

From time to time I get lovely compliments from some of my readers, but I also get some criticism.  One group of critics says I spend too much time talking about how old I am, when the truth is that I’m only 72 and don’t look old or act old.  So, to that group I apologize profusely.  Another group says that I sometimes sound angry.  I’m really, really, terribly sorry.  You see, I’ve been married for fifty years and have become very experienced at saying I’m sorry.  In fact, every night, before I close my eyes, I turn to Carol and say, “Goodnight, Honey.  I’m sorry.”  It saves time.  So, to those who say I’m too angry or talk about being old too much, I’m sorry.   But the truth is I’m pretty pissed that I’m old!

That’s enough.  I know you’re very busy (make that Bizet), so I’ll finish up.  Stay well, practice your Cherokee and I’ll see you next Thursday.  And don’t forget next week is Valentine’s Day.

I’m sorry.

Michael                                             Send comments to:  mfox1746@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment