Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Blog #45

Doesn’t anybody care about their privacy anymore?  They put their whole lives on Facebook.  They put naked pictures of themselves on You Tube.  They twitter their every thought to the whole world.  They live in a fantastic goulash of continuous and interminable connection to as many other lost souls as they can. I want my privacy and I want my solitude.  The younger generations want to be connected to as many people as possible for as much time as possible and they don’t care who knows what.  I don’t get it.  Doesn’t anybody ever want to be alone besides me and Greta Garbo?

Now that I think of it, if I am so passionate about my privacy and my solitude, why am I vomiting up all the secrets of my life to you every Thursday?  I mean, you know everything about me – about my naked light treatments with the brown paper bag over my head; about my obsessive morning visits to McDonald’s; about my utter technological ignorance; about my urine sample.  Have I told you about my urine sample?  Maybe not.

A while ago I had to give a urine sample to the lab.  All I had to do was deliver it, but when I arrived, there was a line at the receptionist’s desk.  I caught her eye and held up the filled vial, whereupon she pointed to the back of the line and said:

Good afternoon, Sir, I can        C
You’ve brought in a bottle of    P
If we could ask                          U
To stand in the                           Q
We’ll take you as soon as can   B

Well, at least I haven’t posted any naked pictures.  You should thank me for that!  Welcome back, everyone, to my latest episode.  I hope you are feeling well and staying warm.  I have readers in California, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Georgia, Florida and Afghanistan.  They are probably warm, but here in St. Louis it has been really cold.  It’s so cold, I saw Rachel Maddow and Steve Bannon hugging.  It’s so cold, Charley Rose now takes a shower with his clothes on.  It’s so cold, Al Franken is rubbing his own breasts.  (I’ll probably think of some more.)

Is all this giving you a headache?  In my youth – you had a headache, you took aspirin.  You went to the corner drugstore -- Bert & Jeanette’s on Clayton Road next to Lake Forest Bakery.  Mmmmm, the smell of butter cookies wafting through the air!  Where was I?  Aspirin!  There were two kinds – the small bottle of Bayer Aspirin and the large bottle of Bayer Aspirin.  The large bottle had twice as many pills and cost twice as much.  And if it didn’t work, the only other course of action was – lie down; it’ll get better.  Now it’s different.  Recently, I went to get something for a headache.  The pain reliever aisle at Walgreen’s was three miles long and the Tylenol section had 100 different kinds, mixtures, sizes and configurations of Tylenol.  They had a pineapple-flavored Tylenol.  They had a Free-Range Tylenol.  And for each one, there was a Walgreen’s store-brand version that was exactly the same.  That made 200 different choices.  And that’s just Tylenol!  Then there were 200 kinds of Advil, 200 kinds of Aleve, 200 kinds of Motrin and yes, there was actually aspirin.  What was I to do?  It’s enough to give you a headache.

I just went to get the mail.  Getting the mail is a routine, but very important part of the day.  To many, it is almost a holy pilgrimage to trek to the mailbox or Post Office each and every day without fail.  Our letter carrier (I almost said Mailman which, of course, would have been horrible.  After all, it could have been a Femail Man.) – our letter carriers let neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stay them from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.

The mail is where you get your bills, wedding invitations, holiday cards and magazines.  I go each day to the mailbox with the same thrill of anticipation and aura of mystery that a five-year-old has when opening a birthday present. Today there was only one item, an invitation to an Open House at the new Senior Lifestyle Community down the street.  Is that sad?  To find nothing but a reminder of how old you are?  Last week I got a catalog displaying the latest in Cremation Urns.  How do they know I’m old?  Do they read my blog?

Can you guess the magazine with the largest subscription?  It’s AARP The Magazine.  In second place is AARP Bulletin.  They each have about 23 million readers.  By contrast, Time, National Geographic, Cosmopolitan, Sports Illustrated and Readers Digest each have about 3 million readers.  It seems that AARP has the Old People market under control.  What we need are magazines for Dead People.  Here are a few proposals: Good Hearsekeeping, Corpse Illustrated, Better Plots and Gardens.  I know, I’m warped.

Jon, an old friend and loyal reader, has written a book.  It’s called Questions for Kids: The time to start talking with kids is now!  It’s an accumulation of thoughtful questions for you and your kids, grandkids, or even friends to stimulate insightful discussions.  It’s actually a lot of fun as well.  You can find it on Amazon.

The Tire Pressure light came on in my car, so I took it to my preferred station where I encountered a large, young and unfamiliar attendant.  I told him my problem and asked if he could check it out.  The man reached in a drawer, removed a pressure gauge and handed it to me.  I told him I didn’t know how to use it (I only recently have figured out how to use a stapler) and asked if he could do it for me.  He sneered at me and said, “You’re a grown-ass man!”  Now, I have reached the stage in my life where I’m pretty sure no big, strong, young, rude jerk is going to punch a limping old man in the nose.  And even though I am not good with mechanical things, I am really good with my mouth.

So I responded, “I am an old man who needs some help.  I bring all my business here and am asking you to provide a service.  Do you think you can handle that without being rude and insulting?”  He reluctantly and begrudgingly left his post, walked outside and filled the tires to the proper amount.  “Thank you, “I said.  “You know, one of these days you will be an old man and you might need some help.”  He nodded and walked inside.  Don’t mess with me.

It’s so cold that Donald Trump just booked a cruise to one of those shithole countries.  See, I told you I’d think of another one.

Stay well and don’t put any naked pictures on You Tube.  Please!  And don’t forget my two know-it-all friends, Ben There and Don That.  See you next week.

Michael                                             Send comments to:  mfox1746@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment