Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Blog # 44

While driving around the other day, I saw a sign.  It was a green sign, which always indicates some official message like how far it is to the next town or which dead Highway Patrol officer the street is dedicated to.  This sign said “WILDLIFE VIEWING AREA” with an arrow and an image of binoculars.  It’s a sad sign really.  Its obvious translation is: “A few miles down this road we actually found a place with a few animals left.  Bring your binoculars because there aren’t that many and they stay pretty much away from the road.  And hurry!  There’s a new Cracker Barrel coming next spring.”  Pretty soon the only animals left will be at the zoos and no-one will remember how they evolved or became extinct.

And speaking of zoos, the St. Louis Zoo opened a new grizzly bear exhibit in July.  Huck and Fin are very handsome bears, but they have been trying to get out, digging under the glass that separates them from the tourists.  The exhibit is closed while the problem is solved.  Shame on those Terrible Teddies, those Silly Smokies, those Bad News Bears – trying to break out of a cage!  What were they thinking of?  Probably freedom.

It was my birthday this week.  I am now 72.  At the Dollar Tree, I found Carol a great birthday card to send me.  It said something like “You’re a wonderful husband and I’m so lucky to have you.”  I showed it to her and she rejected it immediately.  “You’re the one who’s lucky,” she said.  I am also, apparently, the one who is not worth a dollar birthday card.  She wrote me a limerick instead.

I hope on your birthday you see
How fortunate one guy can be
You’re the luckiest guy
And, Michael, here’s why:
Because you are married to me.

And that’s why she has won the Donald Trump Humility Award twelve years running.

Recently, Dr. Pain and I have reached an impasse in our course of treatment.  It seemed that whatever we were doing wasn’t working.  I asked him what we should do next?  “It’s up to you,” was his reply.  What!  Up to me?  You’re the doctor.  You’re the one who went to medical school for seven years.  You’re the one who makes people wait six weeks to see you.  You’re the one who cheated on your organic chemistry exams.  How am I supposed to know what to do?  I’m just an old man in pain and I need your help.  I don’t think he liked much of that, but I had to get it off my chest.

Sorry for being as grumpy as the guy who designed a yellow dress for the Golden Globes.  Sometimes I think you like it when I’m grumpy because I pick on the same things that frustrate or confuse you as well, but right now I’ll try to move on to lighter things with a little puzzle for you.  Try putting six X’s on a tic-tac-toe grid without getting three in a row.  Answer later.

My Jennifer was in town with her kids, and the first thing we did was go to Whole Foods so she could buy overpriced food for her family.  I admit that Whole Foods is a great store.  It has terrific presentation and a wonderful prepared-foods department and it is totally attractive and hip and “in”.  But come on!  Some of the hype that goes on in there is ridiculous.  There was a cooler case with a sign that read “Five-Star Animal Welfare Rating”.  Ok, the sign made me wander over to inspect just how well the animals had been treated.  They looked dead to me.  Not only dead, but dismembered and shrink wrapped.  One package of shrink wrapped body parts said “Fresh Young Chicken”.  Seriously? If that doesn’t bring up a scene of intense, bloody cruelty, nothing does.  Here’s a gaggle of fresh young chicks in the prime of youth with their whole lives to look forward to – snatched, butchered and pulled to pieces.  Do visions of Harvey Weinstein come to mind?  But, we were kind to these “Fresh Young Chicks”.  We played Mozart for them and old Foghorn Leghorn cartoons before we ripped their bodies to pieces.  How humane!  Pass the barbecue sauce.

Let’s talk about comments.  I love your comments, and I always respond to them.  If you have sent a comment and have not received a response from me, then I never received it.  On the lower right of this blog is my email address.  If you send a comment there, I will get it.  If you just click Reply, you will be sending your comment to Neptune or Patagonia or Jay Silverheels.  Please send comments to my email.  I’ll be waiting.   And who, by the way, is Jay Silverheels?

The first five phone calls I received for my birthday were from Florida.  That made me feel old, to know that so many of my friends have escaped to Florida.  But more than that, it made me feel cold!   

We are firmly into Winter now and it is very cold.  I hate the cold, and, as I age, I seem to be getting less tolerant of it.  Why did God have to invent winter?  As a contrast?  John Steinbeck wrote, “What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.”  Maybe God made winter so we could marvel at the beauty of snow.  Or maybe He just wanted to make us shiver.

And yes, I called God a He.  Do I need to apologize for that?  It seems that God has been called Our Father, Our King for almost 6,000 years, but in the past 25 years we have changed God to Our Parent, Our RulerWhy can’t God be a man?  Mother Nature hasn’t been changed to Parent Nature.  Have you ever heard of Parent Goose stories?  Or the Siblings Grimm?  Or Parent Theresa?  With all the scandals going on nowadays, I guess it’s not so good to be a man anyway.  So let’s just pray to Whoever for a mild winter.  Amen!  Oops, I guess I should have said – A-person!

And speaking of The Brothers Grimm.  Why isn’t it the Grimm Brothers?  It just sounds strange.  Have you ever heard of the Brothers Everly?  Or the Brothers Righteous?  Or the Brothers Smothers? 

And speaking of Parent Theresa, she once said, Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier.”  Thanks for joining me today.  I hope I have left you a little better and happier.  Maybe a smile or two.  Here are the six X’s placed on a tic-tac-toe grid that don’t make three in a row.  

X  X 
X     X
   X  X

Gotta go now.  I’m exhausted.  Being clever and witty tires me out.  And thank goodness I can’t hear any of your smart-aleck comments to that!  Oh, and Jay Silverheels was the actor who played Tonto.  Stay well.  See you next week.   

Kimosabe                                          Send comments to:  mfox1746@gmail.com

  

No comments:

Post a Comment