Blog #491 August 6, 2026
I have many faults. One is, according to my wife, not driving
fast enough. I know I don’t drive as
fast or aggressively as she’d like, but I look at it this way – in the car I can
adjust the temperature precisely as I like, listen to whatever kind of music I
want and rest comfortably in a cushioned seat.
I’m happy! Do I need to go
faster? Do I need to get to the doctor’s
office two minutes earlier so that I can wait forty minutes? Do I need to race home so I won’t miss the
opening minutes of The View? What’s the hurry? Relax and enjoy the Summer. I could eliminate her criticism of my driving
just by letting her drive, but she makes me nervous when she’s behind
the wheel. First of all, she sits too
far forward. She’s closer to the
steering wheel than the guy who painted it.
And second, my wife is
good at everything -- except waiting.
She is starting now to time the red lights and is majorly unhappy if
they are too long. And she has zero
patience for anyone that is in her way.
“I’m going around that person. Who allows them to drive? I’m not stopping for that light. MOVE!” She’s like a Maxine Waters who has skipped
her Ritalin.
Hi there and welcome
back. I hope you are feeling well, and I
hope you feel like going to a movie, because I have a Movie Review
for you. Hades Town is a
movie recording of the stage musical as performed in London. It was terrific. It follows the Greek myth of Orpheus and
Eurydice, two lovers with great singing voices and names too difficult to
pronounce. And don’t bother to read up
on the story before you see it. That
would only give away the ending. What’s
important is that the voices are spectacular, the staging is clever and
professional and the rhyming of the lyrics is wondrous (I’m a rhyming
guy). Go see it!
Did you vote this
week? In Missouri, we had primary races
and a few propositions to vote on. The
problem is, the ads are so confusing that you don’t know which side they’re promoting. I wish the ad would just be the Republican
leader of the state legislature standing up there and saying, “Listen, if
you’re a Republican, here’s how I want you to vote. Period!”
The same for the Democrats.
Voters are sheep. They need
somebody to direct them. They know what
party they support. They just don’t know
how that party wants them to vote.
I know this will sound
weird, but someone very reliable told me that the Tupperware Company, besides
making all the kitchen stuff you love, also makes coffins. I told you it was weird. Weird enough to deserve a rhyme:
The Tupperware party? Fantastic!
But it ended in something quite drastic
When we buried old Sid
With a burp from the lid
In a box made of Tupperware plastic.
This Fall, I will have four grandchildren in
college. They just grow up so fast. I remember telling them stories. I did most of the storytelling because I was
good at it and because I couldn’t trust Carol to do it. Once I heard her telling the story of Cinderella, but she left out any
reference to glass slippers. Cinderella
with no slippers? Where does the woman
come up with this garbage? I asked her
why she left out the slipper part, and she replied, “Nobody wears glass slippers.” Hard to argue with, I suppose. She was so flippant about the Fairy Tales,
that I told her never to tell stories to the grandkids any more. She always seemed to forget the facts. Like when she told them a Little Red Riding Hood doesn’t
go with brown boots. Or that The Tortoise and the Hare was
about a couple named Michael and Carol. Or
that Beauty and the Beast was
about a Princess named Melania.
But her favorite story is Goldilocks and the Three Tables. It’s about a girl who goes to a restaurant
with a party of six and the mean old hostess wants to seat them at a
rectangular table. No, no, says
Goldilocks, this table is tooooo square! Then the mean old hostess tries to seat them
at a table for eight. No, no, says
Goldilocks, this table is tooooo big.
When we go to a restaurant now, I never sit down at
the first table. I know better. I stand peacefully in a corner while
Goldilocks and her cronies wander the entire establishment looking for a table
that is juuuuust right.
Message from Shakespeare, the three-legged
cat: I could a
tale unfold whose lightest word Would harrow up thy soul (Hamlet). My favorite Fairy Tale is Puss in Boots, although I
only need three boots. I actually like
when Pops tells me a story when I’m sitting on his lap. His voice is very soft and kind. He’s such a good boy. Purr.
Our Weekly
Word is flippant which means
not showing a serious or respectable attitude.
A couple of weeks ago, near the end of the blog, I
said I hoped that I brightened your Thursdays.
That’s a pretty slimy way of begging for a compliment, isn’t it? It was gratifying to learn that none of you
would fall for a cheap trick like that.
You men know what begging for a compliment is. It’s when your wife says, “Honey,
do you think this dress makes me look fat?” A husband must either know how to respond to
that properly or have a good orthopedic surgeon.
Actually, I did receive a few responses that said,
“Yes, you do brighten my day.” Most
of them were from my female readers, and I thank them very much. I wonder if my wife is upset that I talk to so
many of my limerick girlfriends via email.
Just to be safe, let’s keep it among ourselves. If she got mad and stopped picking out my
clothes, that would be a bad thing. I’d leave the house half the time looking
like Clarabell.
And if you remember Clarabell, you’re my kind of
people. Thanks for visiting with me
today. Stay well and count your
blessings. I’ll see you next week.
Michael Send
Comments to mfox1746@gmail.com
No comments:
Post a Comment