Wednesday, March 21, 2018


Blog #54

It’s Spring!  Are you happy?  Robin Williams said “Spring is Nature’s way of saying Let’s Party.”  Here in St Louis, Spring is often Nature’s way of saying, “Do you remember where your umbrella is?”  But rain or shine, I’m back, so let’s get started.

I was recently in North Carolina visiting my daughter.  Yes, there is a McDonald’s in Pinehurst, where she lives, and I am well-known there.  I was sipping and reading one morning at a counter.  There was a man, 50-ish, across from me.  We nodded to each other and said good morning.  A television lurked very close above us with the sound muted, but we both happened to notice the scroll informing us that some hooker was suing President Trump.  We looked at each other and started a conversation.  There we were, a black man from the South and a white man from the Midwest, agreeing that something had to be done about guns and that Trump was unpredictable and crazy.  I enjoyed the conversation.  I don’t know which side he votes for and vice-versa, but there are just some things we can all agree upon if we have a little intelligence, a little patience and a little common sense.  It is remarkable to me how few of us meet even that minimal threshold.

But not you, my loyal readers.  You have intelligence, common sense and obviously a lot of patience if you put up with me every week.  So welcome back.  I hope you’re doing well.  Let’s test that patience of yours by telling you a long, but 100% true story? 

I don’t gamble.  Gee, there are so many things I don’t do.  I don’t drink, I don’t smoke, I don’t gamble, I don’t eat spaghetti that’s made out of zucchini.   I had a bad gambling experience 45 or so years ago.  Carol and I were young, in our twenties, and one Sunday night we had her sister and her cousin and her brother and their assorted spouses over for dinner.  Four couples, in case you lost count.  We had a nice dinner and afterwards the men were talking about playing craps in Las Vegas.  My brother-in-law said he didn’t know how to play, so we proposed to teach him.  We set up a crap game and played for nickels.  We gave my brother-in-law the dice when I was the banker.  He began to roll and didn’t stop until I had lost $78.  IN NICKELS!

We were young, saving for our family, and I had just lost $78 playing craps on the floor for nickels!  Carol was furious.  She was madder than Miss Colombia when Steve Harvey said, “Oops, you’re not Miss Universe.”  She was so furious, she wouldn’t talk to me.  For a week.  Not one word for a week because I had foolishly lost $78.  It was so quiet, I could hear my car rust.  At the end of that week I came home from the store and said, “Look, Honey, I bought this case of soda on sale.  I saved $2.”  She fixed me with those big brown eyes and said two words:  Seventy-six! 

I have admitted many of my faults and failings to you over the past year.  Here’s another.  I’m just not into highbrow stuff -- art, symphony, opera.  I must not have been around when they handed out the gene for high-class sophistication and good taste.  Except, of course, my taste in women.  But you know that already.

I like realism in art, but not Modern art.  I was once in a museum in Bentonville, Arkansas looking at a painting that was completely black.  I found a nearby docent and asked, “Can you explain to me what there is in that painting that is supposed to stimulate my admiration?”  He replied, “Damned if I know.”  And the symphony?  I like some classical music, but I must admit I grew up on three-minute songs that started with Take out the papers and the trash or I heard about the fella you been dancin’ with.  Three minutes is a good length for a song.  Twenty minutes or sixty minutes – I’ve already forgotten where I am.  And opera is four hours!  In Italian!

I guess that I’m just not aesthetic
I think modern art is pathetic
And Mozart and Bach
Are pretty much schlock
And opera requires anesthetic.

What can I say?  Call me a boor, call me low-class, call me Ishmael.  And anyway, should I care what other people think?  You’ll worry less about what people think of you when you realize how seldom they do.

There’s something I have to ask you.  Are you tired of Mike Lindell?  He’s the slimy, mustachioed guy that’s on television 24-hours a day hugging his pillow and trying to sell you two for the price of one if you call now.  How many damned pillows can the man sell?  I believe that during most days I see his face more than I see my wife’s.

When we were recently in Florida, we went to the Cardinals Spring Training game.  The game was fine and the weather was good and the seats were great.  What bothered me was the cost.  $50 for a ticket, $7 for a horrible hotdog, $4 for a water.  It’s a game played by rookies and no-names and maybe one or two regulars.  Why do they have to swindle and impoverish their fans – their loyal, year-in year-out followers who suffer these rapacious ravages of their finances only because they love their team.  Four people is $300 to go, park and eat.  That’s criminal.  Fan Lives Matter!

By the way, those two songs I mentioned above:

Take out the papers and the trash – Yakety Yak, The Coasters (1958) written by Leiber and Stoller. 

 I heard about the fella you been dancin’ with -  Shake a Tail Feather, The Five Du-Tones (1963) written by Andre Williams.

I have to stop now.  I can’t write while I’m shakin’ my tail feather.  I love that song.  C’mon, do it with me – shake it, shake it, shake it, shake it Baby.  You can still do it.  Don’t hurt yourself.  See you next week.  Rock n Roll!

Michael                                             Send comments to:  mfox1746@gmail.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment