Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Blog #40

I have not seen a Marmatod in fourteen-hundred years.
A Marmatod is like an ox with feathers in its ears,
But somehow still it hears.

Well, it’s not really like an ox because it has four eyes,
A dozen antlers, sixteen legs, two flippers and it flies.
At least it really tries.

I think that I remember what a Marmatod has got,
But it’s been fourteen-hundred years and that is quite a lot,
So maybe I forgot.

That is probably my favorite poem.  It’s whimsical and silly and all the things that I’m not, at least on the surface.  On the surface I’m logical and organized and practical and reserved and dull.  But underneath, somewhere, is a Marmatod, writing poetry and trying to get the feathers out of his ears and looking for someone to play with.

Hi there.  Wanna play?  I hope you are all doing well, and I hope you don’t think that was a limerick.  No, you still have a limerick somewhere down the road, so strap yourself in for the newest edition of the Eminently Renowned and Critically Acclaimed International Phenomenon known as Limerick Oyster.  Well, I don’t know about the words “renowned” or “acclaimed” or “phenomenon”, but we are definitely International.  Limerick Oyster is now read in Afghanistan.  Welcome, Colonel Ric, and thanks for this wonderful sports question.  What is the least number of pitches a starting pitcher can throw and still have a complete game?  I’ll give you the answers later, and yes, there are two answers – one for the 2016 Season and earlier and one for the 2017 Season and later.

And thanks also for the top three Christmas songs in Afghanistan: Oh Taliban!  Oh Taliban! -- Frosty the Terrorist -- Grandma Got Run Over by a Half-track.

Yes, radio stations everywhere are playing Christmas songs non-stop.  We all love Christmas songs, but sometimes I just get overloaded with them.  I mean, how much Burl Ives can one person take?  Sometimes I just pop in the new CD released by some of my old rock-n-roll favorites.   You see, Billy Joel, Paul McCartney and Elton John have formed a new band called Peter, Paul and Methuselah.  They have come up with some new songs to reflect the advanced age of their fan base, for instance: 

I’m Too Sexy for my Cane --- Welcome to the Nursing Home California
Lucy in the Sky with Diapers --- Scenes from an Italian Rest Home
The House of the Rising Blood Pressure --- Celebrate Good Poops, C’mon!
You Had to Get a Flu Shot, Di’nt Ya --- Stayin’ Alive

And welcome back to all of my Oysters.  Are you enjoying the December holiday atmosphere?   Are you out shopping?  My wife loves to shop.  I mean she loves to shop, and when she’s really on a roll, you couldn’t pry her away from the stores with Shaquille O’Neal’s shoehorn.  Now, Carol does everything fast.  She plays cards fast, cooks fast, cleans fast, walks fast.  We even have a special nickname for her -- The Princess of Lickety Split.  I think I have it figured out why she does everything fast.  It’s to make more time for her favorite thing. 

She’s moving at light speed non-stop
Her pace – well it makes my jaw drop
I found out at last
Why she does things so fast:
It leaves her with more time to shop.

And where do people do most of their shopping?  Amazon!  I’m mad at Amazon.  Can we talk?  Amazon is planning a second Headquarters complex -- HQ2 they call it -- and they’ve asked cities around the country to submit proposals.  The market value of Amazon is over $500 billion.  They have all the money in the world.  But the cities, including St. Louis, that are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars preparing sophisticated proposals have no money.  They can’t pay their teachers or their police officers.  They can’t fix their potholes.  Their citizens are taxed up to their nostrils.  But Amazon is making them spend precious dollars fawning and groveling at Jeff Bezos’ feet in order to get chosen.  Jeff Bezos is personally worth $100 billion.  How does it feel, Jeff, to have these poor, destitute cities begging and degrading themselves to have you pick them?  Does it make you feel like Harvey Weinstein?

A few days ago, I was driving east on a lonely suburban road, when I saw a girl walking east as well.  There was nothing around there so wherever she was going, it was a long walk.  I would happily have given her a ride, but in this world, I barely gave it a thought.  I mean, with men being accused and destroyed faster than Anthony Weiner can snap a Selfie, I’d sooner play leap-frog with a unicorn than pick up a strange woman.  She could accuse me of evil doings and I would be in big trouble.  What a world we have created where people are afraid to offer help and afraid to accept it.

And what a world we have made out of public toilets.  FIRST: What happened to flushing?  Is that one of those jobs that “Americans won’t do”?  Was it such a complicated process that we had to turn it over to an intricate and expensive droid?  I want to flush when I’m finished, not when R2P2 has decided I am far enough away?  SECOND:  I want some soap and water.  What happened to faucets?  They’re gone.  Instead, I have to wave my hands under a spout and wait for water to come out.  It doesn’t work the first time – or the second.  Sometimes, I have to conduct the entire 1812 Overture before a brief gush of water comes out.  THIRD:  What happened to towels?  I want a towel, not hot air.  I get enough hot air listening to talk radio.  And besides, the only thing that hot air does is turn the cold water on my hands into hot water.  What could be more simple than to have a bathroom with a toilet, a sink, some soap and some paper towels?  But instead, we have a fully-automated factory that whisks you in, flushes you out, soaps you off and blows you out.  I hate public toilets.

All right, the baseball thing.  For 2016 and before, the answer is 25 pitches.  The visiting pitcher gets the first 24 outs on one pitch each.  That’s eight innings.  Then, in the bottom of the ninth, with the score still 0-0, he throws the first pitch (his 25th) and it is hit for a home run.  Game over, 1-0 loss.  Complete game.

But in 2017, you could intentionally walk a batter without throwing a pitch.  So, you can walk a batter and subsequently pick him off at first without throwing any pitches at all.  If you can get one batter out without throwing a pitch, you can get them all out the same way. The answer, therefore, is zero.  Are you proud?  No?  Better luck next time. Stay well.  Come back next week and we’ll play some more.  See you then.


The Marmatod                         Send comments to:  mfox1746@gmail.com  

1 comment: