Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Blog # 12

My wife likes to keep up to date with all the new technical stuff.  I’m just the opposite.  I use a paper calendar, not my phone.  I use scratch paper for notes, not my phone.  The highest technological level I have ever reached is changing to Daylight Savings Time.  And you know I was dragged kicking and screaming into this blog thing.  But, to be honest, I’m glad I did it.  I like talking to you. You must like it too, because you’re back.  Welcome.  I hope you’re all doing well.  So, my wife now has different sounds on her phone for different things.  When she gets a text, the phone makes a doorbell noise.  Ding-Dong.  That’s annoying.  Now she has an ap that reminds her to drink a glass of water every two hours.  That noise is the sound of gushing water.  I can be reading in the evening and these ding-dongs and waterfalls are going off in the room.  I don’t know whether I have visitors or diarrhea.

Now she has an Alexa.  Great – another woman’s voice I have to listen to.  I’d really like to have the voice changed to sound like an English butler.  Carson, call my daughter in California.  “Yes, Sir, I will make that connection expeditiously.”  Wouldn’t that be great?   I love that old style English.  That’s why I have read all of Dickens’ books.  Where I said in the first paragraph that I like writing to you, Dickens would say, If my readers have derived but half the pleasure and interest from its perusal, which its composition afforded me, I have ample reason to be gratified.”   Ooo, talk British to me!

I know that Dickens is hard to read because the language has changed so much since the 1840s.  Heck, the language constantly changes.  The way we spoke in the 1950s isn’t the same as it is now.  There are new phrases and meanings and usages.  Some are great, but there are some of them I don’t like, like “like”.  Teens seem to use the word “like” as every third word of their vocabulary.  Give me like Dickens like any time.  Like.

I’ve figured out why I love working at the Zoo.  It’s the only place I’m not lost, it’s the only place where someone actually listens to what I have to say, and it’s quieter than it is at home.  Last week I found a kindergarten class sitting on the ground, each child studying the brightly-colored Zoo map.  I asked the teachers what they wanted to see and two little girls screamed “flamingos”.  So I gave them directions to our lovely pink birds, then asked, “Do you want to hear a story about flamingos?”  I instantly had 14 cherubic little faces staring up at me and I proceeded to tell them my flamingo story, which, although possibly apocryphal, is cute.  The brief version is that when pink flamingos were first brought to the Zoo, they were fed fish and grain and normal bird stuff and after a while they turned white.  Nobody wanted to see a white flamingo and the zoo people were puzzled.  Finally they discovered that flamingos are pink because they eat shrimp and absorb the red coloring from the shrimp shells.  When they don’t eat shrimp they turn white, and sure enough, when their diet was changed to shrimp they turned pink and beautiful and everybody was happy, except the shrimp.  I finished the story and the little girl closest to me stuck her smiling gap-toothed face two inches from mine and said, “Can we just stay with you?”  I guess I just have a knack.

And speaking of kids, Austin, my 7-yr-old grandson, had a baseball game this week.  There I was, in the first inning, sitting in a comfy chair next to the bleachers when a 99-year-old woman in a wheel chair was rolled up next to me.  I guess they thought I was the geriatric section.  She sat there giving her best imitation of Mt. Rushmore until her grandson, or maybe great-grandson came up to bat. The first pitch was called a strike, at which point this ancient woman snapped out of her catatonic stupor and yelled, “Strike my butt!”  You’re always a kid at a baseball game.

And speaking of baseball, I’m a Cardinals fan.  The St. Louis Cardinals, not the Vatican City Cardinals, although they might have a baseball team too.  Who knows?  Wouldn’t it be fun to have the two teams play each other?  The Pope could throw out the first pitch, bless the umpires and sell Pope-Corn and indulgences in the stands.  I think the Pontifical Cardinals would be pretty certain of victory:

The St. Louis Cardinals? Who cares!
They sin and they make lots of errors.
They don’t have a hope
Cause we play for the Pope:
Lots of hits, lots of runs, lots of prayers.

Wow, I had to work pretty hard to set that one up!  Sometimes, when I’m writing and looking for the right word or phrase, I get up and begin to pace forth and back.  It’s impossible, of course, to pace back and forth.  To go back, you must already have left the place you are going back to.  And that act of leaving is what is called going forth.  So you have to go forth first.  In a similar vein, no-one can jump up and down.  Once you jump up, you cannot jump down – you can only fall down.  So people, when excited, are actually jumping up and falling down.  Or running forth and back.  Got it?

Time for a mystery.  I ran into a woman today who has a twin.  She said, “My twin sister was born at 1:15 a.m. and I was born at 1:55 a.m. of the same Autumn morning.  But I am the older.”  How can that be?  Answer later.

Another grandson, Tyler, graduated 5th grade.  The ceremony highlighted 72 little 11-year-olds, each giving a four or five sentence speech.  Was I bored!  No, I was amazed.  They were bright and poised and happy and ready to take on the world.    They were black, white, Hispanic, Indian, Chinese, Korean. After hearing all of them, I actually felt better about the future of this country than I had before.  Of course, then I came home, turned on the news and lost all hope.

Ok, here’s the answer: it was the night that Daylight Savings Time ended.  The speaker was born first at 1:55 a.m. Daylight Time, then at 2:00 the time reverted to 1:00 a.m.  Then the sister was born at 1:15 a.m. Standard Time.  And speaking of time, I can just see you pacing forth and back so it must be time to end.  A friend of mine, Francie, told me that she loved my blog, but it was long. Well, maybe it is, but stay with it, friends.  Everything that’s really good is long.  But this one’s long enough, so thanks for coming.  See you next week.

Michael

Send comments to:  mfox1746@gmail.com





No comments:

Post a Comment