Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Blog #19

Hi and welcome back.  I hope you are all spectacular today.  I’m good, but I can never be spectacular in the a.m. because there is a chore I must perform each morning that I am not qualified to do – getting dressed.  When it comes to dressing myself, I’m worthless, clueless, and classless.  It got so bad that a few years ago I took everything out of my closet that was made of linen and gave it away.  I just couldn’t remember in which months linen was allowed.  Does January have an “L”?

Yes, I know my fashion faults and limitations and so does my wife.  But she doesn’t scold me very often about my clothing.  I told her once that I’d rather her let me be a fool some of the time than treat me like a fool all of the time.  It was one of my best lines, and she respects that.  But there’s one article of garb that I will let no-one disparage or talk me out of – a gray sweatshirt that has comfort written all over it.  Actually it has “Sports Illustrated” written all over it and is as warm and as soft as a poodle.  I got it years ago for renewing my daughter Jen’s subscription to the magazine.  It was one of those insulting promotions available only to new subscribers, not available to loyal readers who have overpaid for a dozen years.  I bitched about that and begged and pleaded that my little girl (she was about 35 then) was a loyal reader and wanted to cuddle up with a warm sweatshirt and the Super Bowl Edition.  That worked, and when the shirt arrived, I stole it and never let her know about it.  Well, she had the Super Bowl Edition.

It's Summer and we decided to take our three local grandchildren to the St. Louis Art Museum and to Ted Drewes, a local frozen-custard landmark.  First we saw the Modern Art.  I have already told you that I’m not a fan of opera, and now I must admit that I am apparently without the gene that allows a person to be convinced that talentless trash is somehow subtle and meaningful.  But we liked the mummies and the knights in armor.  Then we went to Ted Drewes.  Now that is art!

Somehow I recently found myself accompanying my wife, daughter and 16-year-old grandson on an excursion whose sole purpose was to buy him clothing.  Shopping for clothes is an activity I rate one step above going to the Art Museum and one step below being sent to prison.  Luckily, I had a volume of short stories by Rudyard Kipling (does that even surprise you by now?) and I went to find a seat.  Near the entrance of the store were two hard, uncomfortable wooden chairs and two soft, comfy-looking wheelchairs.  I chose the wooden seat, not wanting to look my age, and opened my Rudyard.  Not a minute later, a woman carefully led her shuffling and drowsy mother to the other chair and left her.  And there we were --   the ancient and nearly-comatose woman and me.  You don’t have to say it – I know.  But I bet she doesn’t have a blog.

Right now it is pouring – really, really pouring.  I’m about to go out and look for two aardvarks.  I know, of course, that Carol is not going to join me.  She promised to love me in sickness and in health, but not in the rain.  It reminds me of the time we had planned a driving trip with another couple to Arkansas and Tennessee.  We had Triptiks and reservations and everything, but the forecast said RAIN!  My wife had consulted the National Weather Service, NASA, the Pope and L. Ron Hubbard and decided that the weather in Arkansas 96 hours hence would not be propitious, and we cancelled.

I’ll go on a trip in a plane,
A copter, a kayak, a train;
I’ll go on a ship
But when I take a trip,
I’m not gonna go in the rain.

Thank goodness my sweet wife was not on the ship with Columbus.  “Hey, Chris.  Did you know it was raining?  You better shut this ship up, Little Captain.  Nothing’s gonna get discovered today.  Uh-uh.  I’m not getting my hair wet for a bunch of Indians.  You can discover something tomorrow if the sun’s out.  And by the way, see if you can discover a Nordstrom’s.  These Gucci’s are killing me.”

When I’m not reading, writing, volunteering or drinking Diet Cokes – I’m thinking.  Sometimes I just think of strange things.  “Really”, I hear you chuckle.     I have two strange thoughts for you today.  The first is -- do Israeli musicians read music from right to left?  The second is – what do you say to God when He sneezes?  The first thought made me do some research and here’s what I found.  Music goes from left to right no matter who the musician is.  Hebrew lyrics must necessarily follow the notes left to right, but each Hebrew word is written, naturally, right to left.  The answer to the second thought is above my pay grade, and if any of you is disturbed that I called God by the term “He”, well go ahead and change it to whatever you want.  Just don’t leave a smudge on the paper.

Let’s ramble on to some other useless topic.  How about the IRS?  When I got back from Asheville, the mail included a notice from that miserable, draconian and loveless agency informing me that I did something wrong and owed them $1700 in penalties.  There was a number to call, so I grabbed my book, found a comfy chair and settled in for a few hours of “hold” music.  You know, it isn’t so much the waiting that I mind.  I’m sure all of the vicious, greedy and evil employees of the IRS must be very busy stealing, conniving and cheating us poor slobs out of our money.  Plus, I’m certain that each sadistic, sinister and disgusting agent gets a demonic thrill making us wait on the phone.  No, it isn’t the waiting I mind; it’s the music. Where do they get that crap?  If that’s elevator music, the elevator is on its way to Hell.  I’m convinced that most of the mental health problems in America are caused by “hold” music.  Over and over, never-ending, loud and horrible.  But I had no choice, and I punched in the number.  Six minutes later a very polite gentleman answered the phone.  He listened to my excuse and decided to waive all penalties.  The entire call lasted eleven minutes.  Don’t ever say anything bad about my friends at the IRS.

Ok, back to the book title thing.  Week One Winner was The World According to AARP.  Week Two Winner was Into Thin Hair.   So now we have two good titles.  All we need is a book.  I’m working on it.  Thanks for participating.

And thanks for reading.  Stay well and see you next week

Michael                          Send comments to:  mfox1746@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment