Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Blog #17

If John Milton were writing Paradise Lost today, I’m certain that his choice for the location of Hell would be the space underneath my desk.  There are enough wires down there to reach Mars and enough plugs to populate Howie Mandel’s head.  I’ll bet it looks just like that under your desk.  There are eight “things” plugged in.  There’s a router and a modem and a computer and a printer and a lamp and my iPod and two other things that could be nuclear warheads for all I know.  I am so technically hapless that I could screw up a nail file.  If it has a wire, I’m guaranteed to put it in the wrong place.  It amazes me that I have children!  But I had to plug my pacemaker monitor into the phone jack, which happens to be there.  Pacemaker?  Oh, maybe I haven’t told you about that.  Works like a charm, but every six months I have to transmit whatever it is doing to Dr. Pacemaker so he can see what’s ticking (literally).

I needed to plug the monitor in, but there wasn’t a plug available, which meant I had to unplug something.  After considerable thought, I chose the lamp, which was plugged into a surge protector.  I unplugged it.  And you know what – the lamp went off!  I could not have been more delighted if I had discovered fire, and with an unexpected surge of confidence, I plugged the pacemaker monitor in and everything immediately shut down.  Disaster!  By pushing in the prongs, I had pulled the surge protector out of its wall socket, so I put it back.  Too late – the internet was gone because the modem or router or nuclear warhead or whatever gismo that the internet comes out of had been unplugged.  By this time, I really didn’t care if my chest exploded -- at least it would end the ordeal.  I proceeded to plug the machine into the phone-jack and hold the mouse over my chest.  Lights flashed, bells rang, beepers beeped and all seemed to go as I had remembered.  So maybe it worked.  The counter on the nuclear warhead had stopped at 007.

It’s been seventeen weeks. Seventeen blogs.  By now you’re beginning to know me pretty well.  You know that I go to McDonald’s every morning.  You know that I write limericks and that I like books.  I’m thinking about writing a book just for Seniors.  I really don’t have a plot or a plan or a serious idea – but I have a bunch of titles.  So, let’s take a poll.  I’ll give you the choices for the title of my new book.  Then you email your favorite title to me at mfox1746@gmail.com and I will tell you the results of the poll next week.  Ok, titles for the book about Seniors:

The World According to AARP
Rheumatism at the Top
To Kill an Early Bird
Cataract on a Hot Tin Roof      

I’m serious – send me your pick.

My lovely wife and I have just celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary.  Awww!  I’m a very lucky man indeed.  We celebrated at my daughter Abby’s house.  Abby’s a great cook, and she prepared a wonderful meal which perfectly epitomized the spirit of our fifty-year partnership.  She made everything my wife liked.  Abby called her mother, asked what she should cook for the celebratory meal, and Carol rattled off all her favorites.  “Don’t worry about Hop Sing; he doesn’t care what he eats.”  That’s ok; I know my place.  It was delicious, and besides, I don’t care what I eat.

Speaking of food, whenever we travel to Jen in North Carolina or Steph in California or Mama Doc in Naples or Aunt Linda in West Palm – in short, whenever we mooch on our friends and relatives, they always ask us what kind of food they should have in the house for us.  Our answer is “nothing”.  I bring my own tea and that’s all we require.  We’re easy.  But when my Jenola comes to town for two days, she requires organic peppers, raw pumpkin seeds, unsweetened coconut water and, of course, kale.  How can anyone get through the day without kale?  I think the Queen of England would be an easier guest.  All she needs is a place to hang her purse.  But it’s ok; my Jennifer is worth every organic pepper.

I am considering coming out of retirement to become a Marriage Counsellor.  You see, I have a unique ability to view a domestic conflict from both sides.  Three years ago, I had a cornea transplant and the donor was a 62-year-old woman from Kansas City.  Thus, my left eye is female.  My right eye, therefore, gives me the male perspective while my left sees things from the feminine point of view.  Hence, the marriage counselling gig.  “Yes, I can see with my right eye that you are a dedicated and caring husband.  But with my left eye I see that you always get lost and wear linen in November.”  The first candidate for the transplant was a 50-year-old man who had died of a heart attack.  They told me that was great because the guy was healthy.  Healthy? I asked.  How long had he been healthy before he died of a heart attack?  We switched to the lady from Kansas City.

The eye surgery was performed by a local physician named Dr. Blinder.  Seriously!  Now what perverse sense of fate would lead someone with that name to that profession?  Why couldn’t he have become an airplane pilot instead?  Well, maybe not.  I have mentioned the odd coincidence to friends and have been rewarded with other doctors who maybe should have chosen a different specialty.  Apparently, there is a dentist named Dr. Payne and a surgeon named Dr. Butcher.  Someone told me that in Florida resides a plastic surgeon named Dr. Pricey.  In Texas, there is a urologist named Dr. Dickey and an OB-GYN named Dr. Fingers. Unless my friends are fibbing to me, these are all real.

I don’t want to complain.  The world has an over-abundant supply of self-pity and   I really don’t need to add to it, but the truth is that we seniors have plenty to complain about.  Taxes, Social Security, health care, aching backs, salt – but what can we do about it, riot?  Can you just picture a bunch of old people marching the streets chanting:  WHAT DO WE WANT?  WE FORGOT.  WHEN DO WE WANT IT?  WE FORGOT THAT TOO.

We’d loot and we’d burn and we’d riot
Except we are too old to try it.
If the Cops told us Halt
Well we couldn’t assault --
‘Cause we’re on a no-assault diet.

Ain’t it the truth!  Well, I have to go dig out my old “IMPEACH GARFIELD” sign for the march.  Come back next week.  I’m counting on you.  Stay well and send me your favorite book title.

Michael

Send comments to:  mfox1746@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment