Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Blog #18

It’s all your fault!  I only did it because of you!  You see, I was recently with my wife and daughter, Jennifer, in Ashville, NC.  I have never been to Ashville before, and yet I have seen it a dozen times.  It’s Berkeley, it’s St. Louis’ Central West End, it’s Greenwich Village and Boulder and every other college town or ski resort.  It’s seedy and tacky; it’s edgy and artsy and chi-chi all at the same time.  Where ragged street jugglers, magicians and string quartets compete for tourist dollars on the street corners.  Where every restaurant is dog friendly, gluten free and vegan.  Where the forgotten culture, the counter-culture, the homeless culture, the drug culture and the artist culture merge somehow to become the avant-garde culture.  Where every night has an art festival, a revival and an exhibition.  Where a store charging $2,500 for a flower vase is next to a Himalayan gift shop that smells of incense and yak dung.   Where a double-decker bus is turned into a chocolate restaurant. Where everybody accepts everybody and loves everybody no matter what they are or believe.  It’s loud and exciting and troubling and expensive and fun.

We ate at a Spanish tapas place the first night.  On the menu, among salads only a sheep could love and a litany of other complicated and mysterious choices, was Galician-Prepared Octopus.  My first thought – no, my first thought was “No way, Jose!” (it was a Spanish restaurant, after all).  But my second thought was that Galicia was a northern land-locked province of the Roman Empire in the interior of what is now Ukraine, and, being land-locked, would have no use for an octopus recipe.

What? – I hear you cry.  Galicia? Roman Empire? What is that wordy old fool rambling about now?  You should already know that I read strange books and am a “diligent student of the impractical and the largely useless”.  That’s what they said about Herodotus, and who remembers him?  Actually, he was a Greek who wrote the first history of the world around 380 BC.  You’d think there wasn’t much history to write about back then, but he was somehow prolific.

My third thought (stay on track now; we had a first thought, then a second thought and now here’s the third) was to check this out on Google.  I hate to take out my phone at a dinner table.  I think it’s rude when my friends do it, but this was Galician-Prepared Octopus and I felt I deserved an exemption.  And lo, there is a province of Spain also named Galicia which indeed borders on an octopus-filled ocean.  Even so, I still was not about to eat the slimy little creature.  But then I thought (this would be my fourth thought for those of you who remember second grade as the best three years of your life) – I thought, “I need a fun and interesting experience to write about in my next blog, and eating some slimy, undercooked and likely-poisonous sea serpent from a province of Spain I never knew existed would be just the thing.  And I did it.  I took a bite.  I told you it was all your fault.  And you know what?  It was delicious.  No, it was spectacular and I took another bite!  Octopus!  Who’d have thought it?  And it was all your fault.

In Asheville, the most common sights were homeless people and tattoos! Everybody has tattoos – all over them.  Well, I thought (that’s five), if I can eat an octopus, I can get a tattoo.  I’m old and I don’t understand it but it’s the thing.  So why not?  My wife and I took the plunge and got matching tattoos.  Mine says,
I Love Carol.  So does hers.

You know, I take these blogs very seriously, and sometimes I get a little depressed wondering if anybody actually reads them.  The feeling doesn’t last long, however, because down deep I know I have a built-in audience of faithful readers who monitor everything I write – Google, the NSA and Edward Snowden.
Every tweet, post, blog or text that you write is electronically monitored and tracked by these sinister forces who know where you are, what time you go to bed, where you shop, who you call and what you read.  I find it somehow comforting:

Each blog that I write with such care
The NSA plucks from the air
So when I write a letter
It makes me feel better.
At least I know somebody’s there.

Hi, Edward.

Oh, and speaking of sinister people reading my blogs, did you read last week’s where I asked you to pick from four proposed titles for my book about Seniors?  Here were the four choices: The World According to AARP, Rheumatism at the Top, To Kill an Early Bird, Cataract on a Hot Tin Roof

I have tallied the responses and the winner is: (trumpets, drum roll, Vanna White) The World According to AARP.  But wait, that was only the first Semifinal Round.  This is exciting, isn’t it?  It’s like Let’s Make a Deal.  I’ll give a dollar to anyone with a Galician octopus in her purse.  Ok the second Semifinal Round is made up of these four Senior book titles:  send your pick to mfox1746@gmail.com  

A Clockwork Prune, A Tale of Two Colonoscopies, Atlas Limped, Into Thin Hair.

In St. Louis, we have two seasons – Winter and my wife’s birthday.  Starting in late June and ending in September, the birthday feting is continuous.  What are you doing tomorrow, Dear?  Oh, I’m getting taken out for my birthday –  for the 10th time.  That woman gets taken out more than the trash.

And speaking of Carol, she got a call today from some marketing company that wanted to pay her $70 to participate in a 2-hour focus group on radio preferences.  She agreed, but when they found out her age, they booted her.  They don’t care what radio stations old people listen to.  Seniors probably just listen to NPR and Golden Oldies.  And anyway, who cares about old people in general?  They clog up the highways by driving slowly.  They waste our country’s medical resources by taking too long to die.  They pester their children about the simplest technological task.  Who needs these silly old people anyway?  Unless you’re a four-year-old or six or eight or ten, and you want a really cool bedtime story about dinosaurs and princesses and poopy old men who fall all over themselves and make you giggle and who never stop loving you no matter what.

It’s pretty much bedtime now, so goodnight Zachary and Zoey and Alyssa.  Goodnight Tyler and Charley and Austin.  Goodnight Parker and Lucy.  Sleep well, my darlings.  And to all my loyal readers, don’t get all jealous on me.  I’ve told you plenty of stories already, and I’m pretty sure some of them have put you to sleep.  So goodnight, Gracie, and stay well.

See you next week.         Don’t forget to enter your book title pick!
Michael                          Send comments to:  mfox1746@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment